Martinsville High School’s New Football Coach

January 26, 2017

This week Martinsville High School introduced new football coach, Carter Whitson. Whitson, who lives in Bloomington, previously coached at Indiana University for six years. Though he was mainly working with wide receivers and quarterbacks at IU, Whitson plans to coach the Martinsville High School football team as a whole, and lead them to many more wins next season.

Coach Whitson decided to come to Martinsville High School after realizing that he was ready for a new challenge in his life. Living in Bloomington, Whitson needed to be close to home and wanted a small town feel, so Martinsville was seemingly a perfect fit for what he wanted.

Regarding the next football season, Whitson says he hopes to get more kids involved in the sport and wants to create an opportunity to get a wider range of students to play. Though a winning season is important to every coach, Whitson says that his number one goal is for the team to have more fun than in previous years, as he is a strong believer that with more fun comes more wins.

Strategically, he plans to focus not only on individual strengths of players, but also to find the strengths of the team as a whole. Lastly, Whitson says his last strategy for success is to “run an up-tempo offense.”

No matter what happens, Whitson is happy to be here and Martinsville High School is happy to have him. The football team will seek a winning season and hopefully have fun all the while.