Breaking Blue

Apple Battery Downfall

Back to Article
Back to Article

Apple Battery Downfall

Callie Musgrave, Writer

Apple, one of the largest corporations in the world, is known for their phones and Macbook products alike. Their products are also known for their simple algorithm and easy to use servers. However, Apple is infamous for their short term batteries. Apple uses a lithium-ion battery that has a normal life span of 300 to 500 charge cycles (when an iPhone is fully charged to when it dies and is then recharged completely again) or about 2 to 3 years depending on the user.

Apple recently admitted to slowing down the older iPhones such as the iPhone 5(c), iPhone 6(+), and iPhone 7 so that the lithium-ion batteries would last longer for the user. Though many people are under the impression that Apple is slowing phones down each time they release a new product “forcing” users into buying the newer product because their older iPhone no longer works correctly.

Apple also released a statement saying otherwise and apologized for the “misunderstanding about the issue.” They assured their consumers that they were not intentionally slowing down devices of Apple to promote any new products. They also added a new feature that lets users deny the update for slowing down the device and elongating the lifespan of their battery.

To back up the apology, Apple lowered prices of the iPhone 6 as well as the price of batteries not protected by warranties by $50.The price reduction involves the caveat that the device can only be repaired once.

Though it isn’t clear as to what Apple’s true motive and intentions are outside of their apology letter, there are still people who do not trust Apple completely with their phones. Conspiracy theorists all around have started believing and producing a theory, referred to as “Planned Obsolescence,” that makes Apple seem not so innocent in their actions.

About the Writer
Callie Musgrave, Online Editor

Callie Musgrave - sarcasm extraordinaire, future editor, and pretty cool gal  ( ・`ω・´)