October 9, 2019
Monday, September 30th, all MHS students were called out of their 5th-period class and told to report to their homeroom. Students soon found out there was a safety concern regarding the new Chromebooks.
A student’s Chromebook battery overheated causing it to catch fire. Most computers have lithium-ion batteries, which are capable of overheating. A representative from HP was brought in to check all Chromebooks and to ensure this was an isolated issue and would not affect any other student.
As a temporary solution to the safety problem this incident caused, students left their Chromebooks at school on the 30th and the 1st. On the 2nd, students were permitted to take their Chromebooks home for E-Learning Day.
After investigating the situation, the administration and HP representatives decided that the Chromebooks do not present any further safety concerns, and the students can continue as usual. The aforementioned defective Chromebook is still being investigated by HP at the time of this writing.