Publication student Sasha Brown works on proof reading her story for Redline. (Morgan Payne)
Publication student Sasha Brown works on proof reading her story for Redline.

Morgan Payne

POV of a Pub Student

November 11, 2019

Have you ever wondered what a day in the life of a publications student looks like? Are you curious about whether or not you would enjoy the class? Day to day events vary every now and then, but here is a peek inside room 301A from 1:35-2:40. 

The bell rings and fifth period begins. Mr. Perry calls the class to the front of the room, and, for five minutes of the period, the room is silent. Attendance is called and announcements begin. 

Breaking Blue, the Current (yearbook), Redline, and Photography announce to the staff their upcoming events and due dates. “Let’s get after it,” says Mr. Perry, and the class breaks. 

The editors walk to the back of the classroom where their new stories on their computers await edits. In charge of the rest of the staff, they make sure everyone stays up to date on their stories and spreads. 

The rest of the staff members head to their “unassigned” assigned computers. The Current staff works tirelessly on their spreads, analyzing pictures and making sure the yearbook accurately portrays the school year. 

The Breaking Blue/Redline staff holds Brain Pits (brainstorming sessions), for the next round of stories. They discuss hot topics in the world as well as the community of Martinsville.

Photographers upload, edit, and take photographs during their class time. Throughout the period, students have the opportunity to share their opinions and pick what topics interest them the most. 

Finally, after their anticipated arrival, some classmates come back from their trip picking up the  pizzas. The class cheers and enjoys their “treat” of the month. As the class eats their cheese pizza, along with the dessert pizza from Gatti’s, they form bonds with each other that will last a lifetime. 

Later in the period, mumbles of the Secret Santa exchange echo throughout the room. Every year, each student takes place in buying a present for their “Secret Santa” in order to embrace the holiday season. 

As the clock nears 2:40, students come back from their scheduled interviews and wrap up their stories for the day. Chatter about what events are being covered and upcoming stories fill the room. The bell rings. Everyone exits the room, ready to come back and do the same thing the next day. 

If you are interested in joining the Student Media class, make sure you talk to your counselor and sign up to for Mass Media. You will not regret it!