Strictly Business

BPA

First Row (left to right): Jade Schubert, Karlee Arthur, Emily Hankins, Heidi Silver, Kayla Hatfield, and Madison Meiring. Second Row: Korinne Littell, Makayla Murray, Paige Carter, Emily Seger, Alyssa Lahrman, Sarah Smith, Brooke Verhey, and Garrett Marietta. Third Row: Stephanie Eggers, Becky Humphrey, Andrew Walker, Ben Richards, Deanna Stout, and Zackary Swoboda. Fourth Row: Dillon Deckard, Brendan Baar, James Grindstaff, and Mr. Matt Hankins. Photo submitted by Mr. Matt Hankins.

Both Business Professionals of America and DECA, led by Mr. Matt Hankins, had their district competitions in December. Many students were successful in their events and advanced to the state conference.

The BPA district competition was held December 5th at Ben Davis University High School. BPA offers a large variety of events for members ranging from Banking and Finance to Medical Office Procedures. First place winners were Emily Seger in Basic Office Systems and Procedures; Jade Schubert in Legal Office Procedures; and the Video Production team of Sarah Smith, Madison Meiring, Deanna Stout, and Brooke Verhey. Coming in second for their events were Zackary Swoboda in Extemporaneous Speech; Alyssa Lahrman in Advanced Word Processing; Kayla Hatfield in Fundamental Word Processing; Makayla Murray in Medical Office Procedures; Viraj Patel in Legal Office Procedures; and the Broadcast News Production team of Emily Hankins, Alyssa Lahrman, and Garrett Marietta. Third place winners include Stephanie Eggers in Personal Financial Management and Ben Richards in Legal office procedures. Fourteen other members placed in the top ten of their respective categories as well.

Junior Alyssa Lahrman was also elected as the 2016-2017 District 8 president. The state conference will be held March 6th-8th at the Indianapolis Downtown Marriott.

The DECA district conference took place at Brownsburg High School on January 13th. Students were required to take cluster exams and perform role plays for different marketing situations. Many students will be moving on to the state competition, and several received awards for finishing in the top three in their event. A total of 37 students from MHS will be attending the DECA State Career Development Conference on February 28th to March 1st. Elliott Crabb took home first place in the Principles of Hospitality and Tourism event. Stephanie Eggers received second in Personal Financial Literacy. Third place winners were Cullen Olmstead in Personal Financial Literacy, Ri Leigh Miles in Restaurant and Food Services, and the Sports and Entertainment Marketing Decision Making team of Logan Ratts and Luke Wolfla.  

According to Mr. Hankins, he is very proud of how students performed and is looking forward to the state conferences. “I think members did very well at the district conference, but there is still room for improvement,” he said.

FullSizeRender (1)

First Row (left to right): Erin Gaskins, Beau Weston, Sydney Baar, Ri Leigh Miles, Elizabeth Cheatham, Olivia Vedder, Zoe Sheeks, Garrett Marietta, and Cullen Olmsted. Second Row: Mason Tirey, Caleb Allen, James Grindstaff, Abby Martin, Logan Ratts, Luke Wolfla, and Korinne Littell. Third Row: Rik Roehlofs, Zackary Swoboda, Levi Chandler, and Bethany Elmore. Photo submitted by Mr. Matt Hankins.